Physical ROM Dump from a Panasonic FS-A1FX
I’m working on a new prototype to connect a PC Diskdrive on the existing 24 pin flatcable.
This will work on all Panasonic MSX2+ & Turbo-R machines.
The new V2 version, only has 2 connectors and can be directly plugged into a PC Drive.
This is how it looks like in a Panasonic FSA1ST
As this is just the prototype, it has a lot of wires, this will be replaced by a nice PCB.
Here’s a howto for making a NEC FD1231H (Manufacturing Date 2006) Diskdrive compatible with the MSX Turbo-R (and other models)
First cut the traces of Pin 2, Pin 12 & Pin 34
Setting the drive to DS0:
Solder a wire from pin 10 of the floppy connector to pin 19 of the FDN305 controller
Put Disk Change on pin 2 (Not necessary for some Philips Models)
Solder a wire from pin6 of the controller IC to the bottem solderpad of R1
Put READY on pin 34:
Solder a wire from the TP15 to Pin 34 of the connector
This howto describes how to add an extra 256kb Ram to a Panasonic FS-A1ST to get 512kb Ram.
- 2x 44C256 (IC31 / IC33) (I used OKI M514256B)
- 2x SMD Capacitor 100 nF (C138 / C140)
- 2x SMD Resistor 100 Ω (R55 /R229)
- 1x Resistor 10 KΩ (R41)
- (A lot of experience soldering SMD components)
First remove the mainboard from the FS-A1ST.
When removed, clear the solderpoints of IC31, IC33 and R41.
Solder the SMD Capacitors on the empty spots C138 / C140 (Topside, just above the memory IC’s)
Solder the memory IC’s on the empty spots IC31 / IC33
Solder the SMD Resistor on the empty spot R55 (Top Side, left from the memory IC’s)
Solder the SMD Resistor on the empty spot R229
Solder the Resistor on the empty spot R41
Assemble the FS-A1ST and the bootscreen will show 512Kb Ram
I’ve bought & imported almost 10 Turbo-R machines since I’m collecting/repairing and playing with MSX’s. One downside of these Japanese machines is that they are made for 100/110V.
This article describes how to modify these machines to operate on European 230 Volt power without using a step-up adapter/transformer.
I removed the Yellow/White/Yellow cable from the transformer to measure the voltage of the transformer. The voltage without load is 15-0-15V so I’ve chosen a 230V 12-0-12V adapter to be placed in the Turbo-R (12V without a load is +/- 14V)
Then I measured the current of both winding’s with as much load as I could using a slotexpander plugged in with the following cartridges:
- Music Module
- MegaFlash-SD +512kb
- 512kb Memory Expansion.
While measuring the current I’m formatting a diskette to gain as much current as I can.
The current of both winding’s is 402mA & 633mA, so my transformer of choice is a 12-0-12V 1.5A x2 transformer.
Here is how to replace the original transformer, with the new one:
First Remove the original Transformer, by desoldering the powerwires from the powerswitch.
Remove the white cap from the original transformer en cut the Yellow/White/Yellow wire as close to the transformer as possible.
Then I prepared the new transformer by soldering the Yellow/White/Yellow wires.
And adding 2x 230V leads. I use shrinkwrap to isolate the solderpoints.
After preparing the new transformer, place it in it’s original place and solder the 230V leads to the powerswitch.
This is the new transformer in place.
The original power cord is isolated and tested at 100/110V
Because of ecstatic reasons, I’m taking the risk to keep on using the original power cord. I’ve never had a shock from this cord at 230V, but I’m not taking any responsibility for any harm or death.
My Test Setup:
Six years ago I made a FM-Pak design in EAGLE, to make it possible to produce your own FM-PAK. Until now I did not publish it on my own site.
Now it is available for download.